Sunday, July 2, 2017

Revisions and melancholy, plus a recommended read.

I have been working on revisions on several pieces for the last week. I spent some time on my sci-fi novel while waiting for feedback from beta readers on my erotica work. I'm waiting for two or three more people to return their critiques before I get them ready for editing. I've already done quite a bit of revision work on one piece and I have three more in the works. I suspect I'll be releasing two later this month. I seem to have more trouble getting replies than I do finding people offering to read my work.

I've been trying to read more indie authors and self-published authors for reviewing on Goodreads. I would prefer not to give negative reviews. I had been adding books to my currently-reading shelf as soon as I download them and then reading them, expecting to review them after. I think that if I want to avoid one and two-star reviews I will have to start the book first and decide if I will review it before adding it to my currently reading.

Recommended read: I have only given one five-star review so far. Feast on Me, a short erotica story by Terri George. From my review: This story blurs the border between sex and love, with a little heartache mixed in.

I did some beta reading, which was interesting. One story I'm very much looking forward to reading in final form. It was posted as dark erotica but I think it more encompasses dark fantasy with several erotic scenes. It has a well-developed story line with mystery and paranormal elements. Quite good.

I started on one that was a one-for-one trade critique. I was clear in my posting what my story entailed (BDSM erotica) and was under the impression that the person who took me up on my offer was clear on that. I was about one quarter of the way into his book when he e-mailed me. He was very put out by what was going on in mine and requested that we not continue our mutual critiques. I agreed, somewhat amused by the exchange.

The kink-friendly editor never got back with me, so I am calling that contact a wash. I thought for sure with the specifics of welcoming erotica and being BDSM friendly that I would get a return e-mail. Alas, that was not the case. I'll keep working with finding piece editors for now. I will take recommendations if anyone has kink/BDSM-friendly editors who work with new/self-published authors.

Our cat is still missing. I have sent e-mails to local shelters and animal rescues while I pore over photos on the county website daily and we're hoping for a miracle. I just contacted several cat rescues in the area and one called me to recommend the next county over just in case- so I've spent my afternoon doing that. We're expanding the radius of our posters tomorrow, I'm going to take some to local shops. I'm still convinced someone took off with her and I hope they have a change of heart because it's breaking mine. I've been despondent all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment